Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sonnets

For some reason I am having the hardest time with this assignment. I have written draft after draft and I try to have it follow all of the sonnet rules, but then it doesn't convey what I want it too. At this time I have written several rough drafts to post but then i just save them as a draft because I am too nervous, I want my sonnet to be beautiful and obscure at the same time.
I definitely am NOT an artistic person, so this poetry section has been very thought provoking to me. I loved this passage from The Brothers Karamazov from the chapter Rebellion.
" I don't understand anything," Ivan said, like a man in delirium, " and I don't wish to understand anything. The moment I start wanting to understand something, I distort the true picture, when what I really want is to stick to the facts."
I just thought this was so profound. It really is a very simple statement but for some reason this moved me. This passage stuck to me more than any part in the book so far. I just feel like so much is up for interpretation in life and I have always been scared to interpret or be swayed, just by chance I was wrong.
Life isn't just facts, but it would be easier if it was, I am having a hard time finding what I think to be truth in life, but I hope I will some day. It is easy to stick to the facts, but I don't want to anymore.... Im on the loose, I hope I don't distort the truth but don't we all?
One of the greatest questions ever asked was ' what is truth'?

No comments:

Post a Comment