Monday, March 29, 2010

Bad Day

So I know everyone has had a bad day. Your car won't start, you're overdrawn on your bank account, and your parents ask to borrow money from you.But to me those aren't bad days, thats just life. What I have come to think of as a bad day is when I really had an epiphany from everything going wrong.

I used to work at a restoration company in Missoula, I was what they called the "go to girl". My job constisted of cleaning up fires, floods, sewage and suicide/trauma. The cleaning that no one wants to do.
I remember the day well, it was a hot August day, and my work day was winding down, I had a exuasting day dealing with a customer who was crying because all of her family pictures had been burned. Around 3:30 I got a call from the project manager from our comany asking me if i would work late and go clean up a suicide,, and of course i said yes becuase I always need money.
So I went back to the shop to grab all of my personal protective gear that I had to wear when dealing with bodily fluids and headed out to my destination. I pulled up to a house, the yard unkept, trash and weeds blowing in the wind, and I see a little girl crying her eyes out. I get out of my vehicle and she walk up to me and asks if I would get her mom for her, and tell her to come outside. I agree and walk inside the house to see blood everywhere, sprayed over the walls, leaking inbetween the metal panal on the floor, that seperates the two different kinds of flooring. The worst job I had ever been too. And as I slowly take in my surroundings I realize all over the couch and the table in the kitchen, there is beautiful wedding decorations. The little girls' mom was inside the house, and almost crazily was trying to wipe up the blood and put away the wedding decorations. I tell her that her daughter wants her outside, and then she has a breakdown. I have never seen such raw emotion and pain in my entire life, words couldn't even describe the pain I saw in that womans face. The suicide I had been sent to clean up, was this womans fiancee, and the father to the little girl outside. The parents were going to finally be married in Septmeber... I will never forget that day, the image is forever with me. And that is the worst day of my life, I wish that man had known how much he ment to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment