Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reading vs Traveling

Ok so I have had the opportunity to travel, and it is absolutely amazing. Saying that though, I do see professors point about not experiencing or absorbing when you travel.
One of my fondest memories is of kite surfing in Holland in a small town. Nothing could ever describe the feeling of being airborne thanks to a giant kite. Before I went surfing I read about it, the adrenaline rush, what to expect your first time, and about the technique. The experience far exceeding what I had imagined it to. Some things need to be seen firsthand and experienced.
I would say each person learns something different from each experience and feels something different. I have learned a great deal from traveling.
The point I do see from the professor is this. I remember seeing so much beautiful art work in the Louvre and buildings thru- out all the cities, there was too much for me too absorb and take in. I do regret that I didn't read more about the cities and artwork I was going to see. Things are more memorable when they have a story. So I do not claim a side on this one, but instead I see the benefit of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment